The Chicago Blackhawks looked good tonight. (Again, the Hawks rise to play the better teams in the league). Corey Crawford got his first shutout of the season today saving 29 shots. What was impressive was how the PK played during a 40 second 5 on 3 disadvantage. They stayed focused, centered in their slots and were able to kill that entire penalty. In the 2nd period, The PK had to fight a 4 minute High sticking penalty caused by Michal Rozsival. The Hawks got a nice goal by Marian Hossa early in the 2nd period,…and from then on just shut the door on Anaheim's offensive attack and blocked everything in site. Hjalmarsson: 6 blocked shots, Keith: 3 blocked shots, Seabrook: 2 blocked shots, Kruger: 3 blocked shots, Brookbank: 2 blocked shots, Rozsival: 4 blocked shots, Saad and Versteeg: 1 blocked shot each. 22 total blocked shots. WOW! That is how you win a play-off type game against the team with the league's best record. This was so important to win without letting Anaheim pick up any points. This pulls the Hawks within 1 point of the Ducks.
* Jonathan Toews got back into the + 50% on the face-offs (55%) after being demolished against L.A., S.J. and Vancouver.
* Andrew Shaw has got to learn how to take less "stupid " penalties. This does concern me a little.
* Rozsival looked slow today, but he played well the second half of the game.
* Brookbank looked like he had a wet noodle in his hand rather than a stick much of the first period. He also came to life in the second half of the game.
* Keith normally can win 1 on 1 battles but looked slow racing for a puck in the defensive zone. Guess those legs got a little heavy, eh?
* Patrick Kane will NOT play against Phoenix. He is heading to Buffalo tonight to be there for his grandfather's funeral. Wish him all the best during this time.
* Nick Leddy has played solid defense the past two games. I've enjoyed watching him work that puck from his own end and literally go coast to coast without having the puck swiped from him. He looks good right now.
* Hossa…..what a freakin' move and patience to beat J. Hiller today. #24 for big Hoss.
* Nice to see Jonny (Toews) get his 19th of the season as well.
Hawks will play Friday evening against the Phoenix Coyotes. Hawks haven't done well there in the past. Let's make this a super solid road trip before Sochi.
* Oduya is nursing an injury and is day to day.