The opening now surely puts either Jeremy Morin or Jimmy Hayes in position to make the team at left wing.
(Marcus Kruger's name isn't on here...I'm assuming by mistake of the Blackhawks staff.)
The Hawks have several options here. (Brandon Bollig is NOT a guarantee to make the team, btw).
1) They can bring up 5 players...all forwards, or bring up an 8th defenseman.
Brandon Piri, Mark McNeill and Phillip Danault are all center man. Danault and McNeill (especially the latter) can play wing.
The opening at left wing allows for either (or both) J.Hayes or Morin to fight for the Hawks roster.
Recently signed Ryan Stanton could be that 8th defenseman rather than Adam Clendening. (Not my option here).
23 man roster....5 open slots. First season in a LONG time that I'm getting excited about camp and our youngsters who deserve this shot.
The ones to fight for the offensive slots?
1) Brandon Bollig. (Not my option, but it is a viable one). (< 30%)
2) Brandon Pirri: (To me this has been a no brainer for the past 2 seasons. I believe he makes the squad (>90%)
3) Phillip Danault: (>65%) This kid was impressive during their recent camp. He shows grit, as well.
4) Mark McNeill (>65%). Size, scoring ability, and was told by Stan Bowman to fight for this opportunity.
5) Garret Ross: (<35%): He's going to be the dark horse here. Great season last year in Saginaw.
6) Jeremy Morin: (50%): I love this kid. Every time he comes to the Hawks I get excited. Left wing departure of Carcillo...and Frolik gone, allows him to fight for 3rd or 4th line duties and PK opportunity.
7) Jimmy Hayes: (>65%): Size, grit, nice hands. Left wing available after Carcillo departure.
8) Ryan Stanton: (25%) If the Hawks decide to go for an 8th defenseman,...I believe he gets the nod. They just signed him to a 1 year deal. IF,...and only if the Hawks can get rid of Brookbank,...then I believe he's the first option to come up.
9) Adam Clandening: He's the best QB defenseman the Hawks have in the AHL. He's a stud. (15%)
10. Ryan Hartman: (5%) He's the grit they love. But, he may need some fine tuning.
11. John Hayden (10%) size, nice hands, has nose for the puck, smart Yale kid.
12. Teuvo Teravainen: (10%) another center with unbelievable hands. We'll see what he does in camp.
13. Drew LeBlanc: (25%) We shall see. Hawks are looking to resign him now. He may spend some time in Rockford, but he's got the skill set to be on the Hawks right now. We'll see what Stan and Q want.
14. Ben Smith: (20%) Lower salary, plays penalty kill and power play, did well in Rockford, plays both Center and Wing. Could also be a black horse in this race for the final 6 spots.