As I look at Pittsburgh's roster and see that their roster is loaded with 'rentals', how are the Penguins going to compete for the following season?
1) Granted that Malkin and Crosby are the 2 best players on their team (if not the league), so paying them each $8.7m, although a ton under the lowered cap,...is still probably at proper value. But, that chews up a ton of money 17.4m/64.3m : 27% of the entire teams allotted payroll to 2 guys on the team. 2 of 23 players.....WOW!
2) Iginla, Morrow, Dupuis, Adams, Murray, Cooke, Eaton and Kennedy(RFA), are all free agents. They have $7.8m left to pay all those players.........ain't gonna happen.
Can you say "dismantle and reassemble"?
Now,...let's take a look at L.A.
1) They appeared to be a little better off. The have $16.9m left on their cap space with fewer rentals.
2) Free agents: Jonathan Bernier, Jake Muzzin(RFA), Rob Scuderi, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dustin Penner, Kyle CLifford(RFA), Trevor Lewis(RFA), Brad Richardson and Jordan Nolan(RFA).
Appears to be much easier for them to go after free agents and to be able to sign Voynov, Penner, Muzzin, and Scuderi without issues. So, they'll be competitive in 2013-14.
Now,...let's take a look at Boston.
1) With a cap space of $12.657m left they have also some wiggle room after the season.
2) Free agents: both goaltenders (Khudobin, and Rask(RFA) ), Andrew Forence, Wade Redden, Nathan Horton, Jaromir Jagr, Kaspars Daugavins (RFA), Jay Pandolfo.........that's it? They're looking REALLY good. They'll definitely be competitive and be favorites for the Eastern Finals.
Now,...let's take a look at our CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!
1) STAN BOWMAN has done a marvelous job since having to disassemble the team after 2010. Now, let's see where the Hawks stand when it comes to their team.
1) Hawks appear to only have $2.1m left on their cap space. Sounds like an issue.....Not really.
2) Hawks free agents: Emery, Karlsson, Hutton....Emery will probably be let go. Karlsson and Hutton will get 2 way contracts therefore not affecting the cap, since they'll both be in the minors.
3) Michal Rozsival: He probably will be gone. Hawks won't have room to sign him to a $2m contract.
4) Minor leaguer Shawn Lalonde: He's not going to make the team.
5) Ryan Stanton: Could make the team, but I think the Hawks really have their eye on Adam Clendening as that guy to replace Rosie.
6) Bryan Bickell: His playoff play is going to get him some offers. So, I now think that the Hawks lose him. Replacement?......Jimmy Hayes. Long shot (Kyle Beach).
7) Viktor Stalberg: I believe his play is going to get him a $2m/yr contract. So, I think he'll be gone.
8) Jamal Mayers:.....ever consider coaching?
9) Michal Handzus: $2.5m/yr? He has been valuable, but I think the Hawks need to trade away Bolland in order to keep Handzus. If that cannot happen, I think he's gone. Too bad. We like Zeus. His replacements?: Drew LeBlanc, Brandon Pirri (hopefully), Phillip Danault, Garret Ross, Max Sauve and possibly a free agent.
10) Nick Leddy: Hawks WILL resign him. but, their may be some $3m offer come by where the Hawks will have a hard time matching. WIll S.J. pull another Hjalmarsson and offer a $3m offer to make Chicago match? We'll see.
11) Drew Leblanc: 2013 College player of the year? I think he gets a 2 way contract. He probably won't make the team, but we'll see.
12) Marcus Kruger: He has been valuable to our team,...especially on the PK. Will he get more than a $1.5m offer? I don't think he will. I think the Hawks resign him.
Hawks look good for 2014. Should be a top 4 team again. (Fingers crossed).